Child Development Homes
Child Youth Programs
Navy childcare programs are critical for our Service members who need to go to work every day, serving both at home and abroad. During the current COVID-19 crisis we are adapting our Child and Youth Program (CYP) operations to meet both the Navy’s mission and family requirements, while ensuring the children in our care and our professionals are healthy and safe.
Effective March 17 the following “social distancing” changes are being implemented:
• All Programs/Services that are NOT full-time childcare (ages 0-12) cancelled/postponed until further notice/continual monitoring
• All Hourly Childcare cancelled (unless emergency/ mission essential)
• All Youth Sports, Youth/Teen Programs, Field Trips away from Navy Childcare facilities cancelled
• No New childcare enrollees into Navy operated programs (unless emergency/mission essential)
• Parents are required to self-care for own children at home if Navy full-time telework agreement during COVID-19 pandemic is executed, parent fees will be waived/space saved
• Parent fees will be waived/space saved for all personnel who elect to voluntarily temporary withdrawal their child for at least two weeks or until May 1, 2020
• Installations may request waivers to reduce program operating hours
• Supplemental staffing required from other N9 programs for increased cleaning/sanitation
• Background check requirements waived but supplemental staff always in line of sight supervision of “blue smock” CYP employee and not in ratio
• School Liaison Officers Assigned to CDC/SAC to supplement
• All training requirements postponed
• All Teacher in-Service Days cancelled
• Increased handwashing and sanitation practices (e.g. cleaning door handles, hard surfaces, etc.)
• Minimize visitors (e.g. postpone all non-critical facility maintenance, etc.)
• Staff shall complete all sign in/out protocols
• Discontinue Family Style Dining (staff will plate food for children)
• Discontinue Tooth Brushing and Use of Sensory Tables
CHILD DEVELOPMENT HOME PROGRAM (CDH)
Only certified homes are sanctioned by the Commanding Officer to provide child care. CDH care is provided by a military family member in base housing. CDH providers attend 30 hours of training and have their homes inspected for safety, sanitation, and quality programming. A Child Development Home offers home-like environment. Developmental programming includes The Creative Curriculum for Family Child Care, which is based on individual child observations, allowing for flexibility to meet the developmental needs of each child.
Children placed in CDH full time care through the CEWL are eligible to receive discounted child care rates based on their household income. Because there are limited overhead costs, we are able to pass the savings onto parents by offering CDH subsidized rates at 20% below the rates at the CDC and SAC programs.
In addition to regular fulltime care, CDH providers can often meet the special needs of later hours, part time, hourly, weekend or last minute care. For these types of care, parents may obtain a child care referral directly from the CDH Office located on the third floor of the Community Readiness Center.
BE A CDH PROFESSIONAL
The Child Development Home Program is seeking self-motivated and fun-loving individuals to operate a unique child care program in their own government quarters located in Ikego and Yokosuka. The CDH program provides free training, access to lending library for toys and equipment, child care referrals, monetary incentives, and program support. Download the application here.
For more information, please visit us in Room# 305 of the Community Readiness Center or give us a call!
EXTENDED HOURS CARE
In additional to regular daytime child care, the CDH program offers Extended Hours Care which includes the hours that the CDC and SAC programs are closed. This includes weekends, holidays and Monday-Friday 1800-0600. This service is available for shift work and duty nights/weekends. For more information, please call us at 243-4079.
WORK FOR MWR - CYP NEEDS YOU!
Are you interested in providing high quality, educational and recreational programs for children and youth? Become part of our staff and foster a sense of independence, trust, and responsibility within each child through understanding and respectful interactions. Earn college credit while working in a fun and dynamic environment. CYP is an opportunity to serve military families, while working with a professional and rewarding organization. For more information, please call 243-5446.